The Open Water Association of Galicia in collaboration with the Maritime-Terrestrial National Park of Galicia’s Atlantic Islands, organizes the 9th Annual CÍES ISLANDS CHALLENGE Open Water Swim.
The event consists of covering the 10k by swim that separate the Cíes Islands from Vigo, from Rodas Beach in Cíes to Vao Beach in Vigo.
It is a non-competitive event. The number of maximum participants will be limited to 200
This year the format is in SINGLE EXIT of the swimmers.
The route will be marked by 12 buoys every 700 meters.
2 refreshment points are established, which at the same time will be worth as steps of “CUTTING POINT”.
- The first one at 3.5km from the start with a cut time of 1h and 45min.
- The second 6.8 km from the exit with 3h cut-off time. (This distance is marked by the navigation channel of the Ría de Vigo)
Swimmers who do not reach these points in the estimated time will be removed from the water, for reasons of maritime safety.
At any time, the responsable for the safety of the race, considers it appropriate to neutralize the race to get the swimmers reordered.
All swimmers will be marked with a buoy provided by the organization of striking color of 30cm in diameter that each swimmer will be tied to the waist.
Read page REGULATION
SATURDAY 25TH OF AUGUST 2018
REGISTRATION opens the 2nd of April 2018 (1pm).
Registration for this 9th Annual CÍES ISLANDS CHALLENGE has a fee of 105 euros.
The registration fee includes:
- Transport of the swimmers to the island
- RC general insurance of the event
- Individual Accidental Insurance for each swimmer
- Medical support
- Aid stations during the swim
- Aid stations after arrival
- Commemorative T-Shirt
Overall and Master Men and Women (being minimum 18 years old).